Model Question and Answers for APSC | Discuss factors responsible for severe heat wave in summer of 2022 in India.
Discuss factors responsible for severe heat wave in summer of 2022 in India.
Ans: During the La Nina years, we do not expect such heatwaves but this year is exceptional. Normally La Nina, a cold current in the Pacific, is associated with relatively cooler summers in India.
To be sure, there were exceptional events this year that contributed to the heatwave, but these could have still been caused by the climate crisis. Among these:
- A prolonged dry spell (northwest India and central India recorded 78% and 58% rainfall deficiency during the pre- monsoon season so far that started on March 1)
- Very few western disturbances which normally bring pre- monsoon rain to northwest India, resulting in clear skies and very high solar radiation.
- Anticyclones - an area of high atmospheric pressure where the air sinks - also led to hot, dry weather over parts of western India in March 2022.
- Most experts believe both urbanisation and population density are factors that contribute to the climate crisis.
- The effects are visible. Farmers say the unexpected temperature spikes have affected their wheat harvest, a development that could potentially have global consequences given supply disruptions due to the Ukraine war. The heat has also triggered an increase in power demand, leading to outages in many states and fears of a coal shortage.