Model Question and Answers for APSC | To what extent did the role of the moderates prepare a base for the wider freedom movement? Comment. (UPSC CSE MAINS 2021)
Ans: The moderate political activity involved constitutional agitation within the confines of law and showed a slow but orderly political progress. The Moderates believed that the British basically wanted to be just to the Indians but were not aware of the real conditions. Therefore, if public opinion could be created in the country and public demands be presented to the Government through resolutions, petitions, meetings, etc., the authorities would concede these demands gradually.
The moderates prepared a base for the wider freedom movement
1. Created a class of politically educated middle class intelligentsia that furthered agenda of Indian nationalism.
2. Constitutional Reforms and Propaganda in Legislature.
3. Economic critiques of moderates exposed colonial nature of british which affected the masses whether peasants, artisans or workers.
4. Annual congress sessions conducted all over India during moderate phase took nationalism to every nook and corner of the country.
5. All prominent moderate leaders also released various magazines and newspapers which politically educated masses gradually.