Model Question and Answers for APSC | Write a note on preparedness in India with a special reference to Assam to realise UNDP SDG 2. (APSC Mains-2020)
Ans : The SDG 2 aim to end all forms of hunger and malnutrition by 2030, making sure all people -especially children - have sufficient and nutritious food all year.
Preparedness in India
1. The government has also taken critical steps to enhance food security, including through an India-wide targeted public distribution system, a National Nutrition Mission and the National Food Security Act.
2. 99.51% BENEFICIARIES covered under the NATIONAL FOOD SECURITY Act, 2013 in 2019-20
3. The Government of India has prioritised strengthening agriculture through measures in irrigation, crop insurance, and improved varieties.
4. The Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana, the National Mission on Sustainable Agriculture and many national schemes on horticulture, agricultural technology and livestock are leading the way in improving India’s agriculture.
5. Targeted program to action on Anaemia in India through “Anaemia Free India” campaign
6. Poshan 2.0 and Sakhsm Anganwadi to deal with child malnutrition, underweight, wasting and stunting
7. As per National Education Policy in future schools will also provide free breakfast along with lunch in the reformed PM POSHAN scheme.
In the recent SDG India Index of NITI AYOG the state performed poorly in GOAL 2: Zero Hunger (Score of 41 out of 100)